Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mom's - what do they do anyway?

What does a Mom do? In my book, a Mom helps to develop, nurture, and strengthen a child physically, emotionally, and intellectually. The first time I understood about the job of a Mom I thought of a "pace runner". This is a person whose job is not to win the race, but rather who runs with the one seeking to win so that they will run at the right speed. Usually the pace runner doesn't finish the race because they used up their energy helping the "winner" run at the appropriate speed to keep their pace at the correct level to win. Pace runners and race winners usually train together. In high school I ran track. We did not usually have a pace runner unless someone was specifically trying to beat a record or qualify for state competition. Then coach would put someone (pace runner) who ran a fast shorter race along with the person striving to win the record. The pace runner would run his usual speed and duration falling out of the race about part way through (because their energy was used up). Then the competitor would continue at that speed.

The idea behind this concept is that the one trying to achieve a record is able to do it, but does not always monitor or push enough to do it on their own. When paired with someone who can show the way and push the runner, then the runner rises to their potential. This to me is one of the grandest responsibilities of Motherhood. It is to help others to reach their potential. It is to hold their hand, drive them to practice, or dare dream of what may be. Motherhood is not only how we help our children (and, let's face it, our husbands too) to reach their potential, but it is one of the ways how we as women reach our potential.  I don't think that Motherhood is restricted to women who bare or adopt children.  I have had a "Mother's" influence by a lot of women in my life that were not related to me, some of whom had no children of their own.  

When I think of pace runners, it helps to ease the weariness that I feel at the end of the day when my 1 year old is not quite ready to go to bed and I am.  I realize that my job is not to beat my children at running the race, but simply to be with them day in and day out to run along side of them, to help them achieve more and then to simply bow out and let them receive the accolades.

1 comment:

sara said...

Hi Kristina! Your writing is beautiful. You are an amazing woman and mother. I'm glad I found your blog :)

(Danika directed me to Jeff's since I've also been writing some "political stuff" on mine lately.... then I found yours from Jeff's. If you want to look at mine just click on the "sara" at the top of these comments and it will show my profile; then my blogs are listed at the bottom of the page, FYI.)

Have a great week ~ see you Sunday!