Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How do you think?


It never occurred to me that people would literally think in a different manner than others. I mean, I sort of accepted that men and women thought along different lines, but I thought they just thought about different things using the same manner. Years ago I read a book by Temple Grandin, Thinking in Pictures. It is a real good book about autism and the way that she has experienced it and how she has become successful in her own life. She basically explains that for her she sees things in her mind like it is on a movie projector shooting it onto a screen. She said that some people she has talked with think more linearly. I can't actually conceive of that. For me, I see objects floating in space within my brain. If you give me directions to somewhere, I actually have a topographical map moving around my head, with a "You are here" place as my mind traces the route. This is why when I was a child, I thought I had a photographic memory, because I always saw everything in pictures. Then when I tried to use my "photographic" memory for tests, I had to sadly admit, that it was pictures I could see, but not with enough detail to discern whether the answer was A, B, or C.

So here come my question to you, how do you think? Have you really ever stopped to consider that? And to consider that not everyone mechanically thinks the same way you do.

No comments: