Saturday, July 23, 2011

In support of Stacey

Recently I decided to cut my hair in support of my wonderful sister-in-law Stacey. She is such a good example to me. I am inspired when I go in her home and I have learned to take a few of the things she does well and apply them into my life. She is also such a wonderful match for my brother.

A few months ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She has undergone a double mastectomy and has started chemo (all just days after she ran her first marathon). Two weeks ago she decided to cut her hair (he doctor suggested she just go ahead and do it, instead of waiting for her hair to fall out). This last week her husband shaved his bald and they sent me a picture.

I had been wondering what I could do to support them. Cutting my hair did not come immediately to my mind. I had finally had it the length I had been working towards for a long time. When the idea came to me, it came in the same way many other good ideas had. I had just a sweet peaceful feeling that I knew that was what I should do. I was intensely happy. I recognize this as the spirit of God in my life and felt like this is what I should do.

I called my husband and discussed it with him. He got hit out of left field by it. He had not thought of it at all. He recognized how I felt and he willingly supported me on it. He even helped me shave my head.

I still struggle with this. I know it shows her support, but I wish I could find some way to make her daily life easier.

Oh, and I have had a few people ask if it was hard. Yes, it was hard. I cried, my husband cried (I think) and a few of my children cried, but I felt like it was right and I have just had so much peace about it, I know it was right to do.

2 comments:

Danika said...

You're amazing! Sorry to hear about Stacey.

Scott and Bethany said...

What a wonderful and courageous thing to do for someone else. I bet it feels awesome not to have all that hair, a truly wash and go style!