Monday, February 6, 2012

Tattoo's

Well, today my oldest (10 years old) came home from school with a "temporary tattoo".  While harmless in nature, I wanted to make sure she was thinking about her choices she makes.  I asked her if she knew why her dad and I chose not to have tattoos.
She sighed, "It is only temporary, I can wash it off."
I responded, "I know.  But that wasn't the question.  Why do you think we don't choose to have tattoos?"
She said, "I don't know."
Exactly my point, I think to myself.  I reply, "Well, mom and dad feel our body is a gift from God and it is beautiful.  If you gave me a beautiful dress for a gift, how would you feel if I took a marker to it to change it or make it look more interesting?"
Shocked look on her face, "I would be really sad about that."
The conversation was enough.  She sat down and did her homework.  She came to me after she finished, with a wet arm and said, "I tried to wash it off, I even used soap and it won't come off."
"Hmmm, maybe try a dish towel."
"I thought you'd say that."  She takes the dishtowel I hand her and she scrubs.  It comes off after a few good minutes of scrubbing.  Her arm is red.
Being a mom who tries to be in the moment and teaching where I can, I point out, "It did not hurt going on, but it looks like it hurt coming off."
She says, "Yeah"
"Sometimes that's how it is.  When we make choices we don't really think about they are easy to get into, but getting out of them is a lot more difficult.  A lot of times our choices leave marks behind.  A real tattoo you can't get rid of that easily."



2 comments:

Danika said...

Great teaching moment! I hate those temporary tattoos.

Maureen said...

Great teachable moment!