Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team

This is a book that the CIO of Jeff's job gave to Jeff to read. This has come in the midst of our discussions about conflict. It is a rather interesting book, easy read with very good principles taught. Jeff read it two weeks ago when he stayed home sick from work. When he was finished, he asked me to read it. It was truly delightful and we enjoyed discussing it. He has since returned it to be passed on to the next member of his office (his direct boss, whom he is hoping will glean a few points of wisdom), so unfortunately I can not directly quote from it, however there were a few things that really resonated with myself and my husband. In a functioning team:
  1. You must feel listened to, regardless of the end choice made. For myself, I don't usually care if the out come is what I suggested, if my (and other members of the team) points are listened to, valued, and then a decision is made.
  2. You must be willing to be vulnerable in order to contribute. This does not mean that other people need to attack you, it means that if you are holding back for any reason, then you will not be as successful as you would be otherwise, and your team also will not be as successful.
  3. You need to value the success of the team, over yourself (whether it is personal value or personal limitation). You must be able to put the team's needs above your own.

No comments: