Saturday, March 23, 2013

Conversation with JJ

JJ:  I like lots of fruits and vegetables.
Mom (skeptical):  Really?  Cause I can only thing of one, no two that you like - Carrots and red delicious apples.
JJ: No, I also like bananas, Red Delicious Apples and Granny Smith Apples.
Mom:  Hmmm- that means you and Grandpa Williams have something in common.  You both like Granny Smith apples.
JJ:  Too bad his last name is Williams and not Smith.
Mom:  We actually have a great grandma Smith - Sarah Ervene Smith.
JJ:  Well then, she is our great, great, granny smith.  Hey, I have a joke.  What apple is related to the Red Delicious...the Granny Smith!


This is an example of me talking to JJ about healthy eating choices.  No wonder he still hasn't figured it out.  As his mother I am a college educated, street smart (by way of growing up with 5 brothers and 3 sisters...maybe I should call that big family smart) mother who can't have a conversation to reach a predictable teaching because having conversations with her kids (especially JJ) are more like using a roller coaster to go grocery shopping.

No comments: