Sunday, December 21, 2008

Memorable Christmas'


This is the third year (we've been married for 9 Christmas') that we have spent at home for Christmas. So we are still trying to figure out what we want to do and how to do it. I have been thinking about memorable Christmas', what made them that way and what I want to do for my kids. So the first main memories I have are related to Christmas Stockings - well actually the contents of Christmas stockings. One year (I think second grade) my parents put a "Storybook of LifeSavers" in. It was a package that opened up like a book and it had 4 rolls of Lifesavers on each side. I thought this was the Ultimate gift to receive. I remember wishing to find that in my stocking every Christmas morning for years to come. The other thing that I wished for were Reese's Peanut Butter Cup "sticks" (they usually have a dozen or so in a tube with a Christmas figure on top). I must have gotten those at least once to hope for them again.

So now I get to plan the whole gig (we pretend that Jeff is involved, but let's be realistic). We made cute stocking for everyone in the family this year. The kids wrote their names on the top. I really wanted to do this for them, but Jeff said it would be cute in years to come seeing their handwriting. I agreed and "allowed them" to do it. AnnaLisa broke her name in half (Anna and Lisa) doing two diagonal descending lines. Andrew wrote, "Andrew3" which is how his Kindergarten teacher has taught him to sign his name because he is the third child by alphabetical first name (who says your not a number to your kindergarten teacher?). JJ decided to go by "Jeff". As far as stocking stuffers go, we got hot chocolate and boxed cereal (single serving size) for the kids. I got Reese's Peanut Butter Christmas trees and peanut butter M&M's. Hope Jeff likes the boxed cereal because I did not think of him (I was concentrating so hard on the kids).

I have two other Christmas memories that run through my head this season (and in truth, every season probably for the rest of my life). The first is of my younger sister Kathy who would always donate to the Salvation Army bell ringers at every store. I even remember that she would donate the last of her money that she borrowed from mom to be paid back later or through work. If I borrowed money from mom I refused to donate it, because it was more that I would have to pay back. But I always remember Kathy and her endless charity. She has been such a good example to me of someone who willing to give others a second chance, share whatever she has, and being kind to all.

The other memory I have is of a Christmas we had shortly after we moved to Utah. I think it was the second Christmas. It was a financially tight time for all in our 11 member family. It was the first year that we traded names (so that we would each only need to get one gift instead of everyone getting everyone a gift). I remember being very humbled by that. Christmas morning was extremely meager. My brother Josh managed to get gifts for everyone - although some were slightly "unorthodox". For me he gave me a dinosaur pencil holder he had made in wood shop (which to this day I have and has always attended every office I have had). For everyone he had something - for one of our brothers he found some lost toys and wrapped them as a present. I don't remember the rest of what he gave, but it was so sweet the feeling in the room at that time. Everyone felt special because of the thought that went into the presents, and not the presents themselves. I guess that is why, for me, the thoughtfulness of the present has always meant more to me than the actual present.

It is a fun time for me to figure out what types of things are important to my children and to try to include them into our celebrations. I hope they look back and remember the fun and joy of being in our family especially around Christmas time.

3 comments:

Danika said...

"we pretend that Jeff is involved, but let's be realistic"

I'm laughing so hard over here right now...sounds JUST LIKE KEVIN. Hmmm...they must be related!

sara said...

I've been thinking about "our" traditions too; we've had Christmas in Utah with Aaron's family every other year since we got married, so with breaking it up like that I don't feel like we have any real strong traditions that are "ours." I love the idea of little cereal boxes in the stockings!

Kristina said...

Yes, we won't discuss how deep the "Park" genes go.

Cereal was a big thing in the Park family growing up. It was often picked for birthday breakfasts and appreciated in Christmas stockings. Jeff reminded me that they could eat that for breakfast - one less thing for me to take care of, YEAH!