Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sanity Freak?

So last night I wrote down a schedule (actually more of a reward system for the kids to do what they need to be doing on a daily basis) to help keep us organized.  I made one for the three oldest kids each and myself.  It tracks different things like prayers, chores, exercise (which we can put a star on for completing that day).  Over breakfast this morning we discussed what some of the reward's could be for getting 10, 15, or more stars.  I came up with what I thought would be the "most desired" rewards - ice cream cones, slurpee's and playing at McDonald's playland.  The kids liked getting two extra games on the Wii.  (Except for Sunday, every night we play on the Wii for two games each.  It wasn't really set up for a reward system originally, but has turned into that over the months.)  Wow, I really liked that because it does not involve any cost, transportation, and it is something that I enjoy doing with the kids (you'll never see me on Playland - unless it is to clean up after a kid).

So this afternoon I am complimenting myself on a good job in creating this schedule/system (in full disclosure I give the credit of the idea to the Spirit as I did not come up with this, it simply popped into my mind, I do give myself credit for it only being there two days before I tried to implement it).  Then a thought occurred to me, I wondered if I was a "list freak".  You know, someone who writes things out on a list before it can be accomplished (to some degree I do this).  Then it hit me, I am a "Sanity Freak".  I am an extremely flexible person overall.  However, I do prefer that things are organized and communicated so that all involved can take their part in it.  I strongly dislike not knowing what is going on when my job is to prepare others for what is going on (think "Mom, are we there yet? or When is dinner going to be ready?)

As a mom, if I want my kids to do their part in something, it usually requires me to be a major support for that (keep in mind my kids are 6, 5, 4, and 1).  So any way that I can set them up for success, is less work for me.  After my day yesterday, we needed some serious changes to make the demands on mom less and allow the kids to step  up to their capabilities.  My kids are very capable, but not necessarily independently capable.  This schedule/system is an example of it.  I honestly expect that in a few days that my kids will be doing great once we get all the "kinks" worked out (found out this morning that I now need to put "getting ready for school" as an item to track because when they saw they needed to do two chores for the day, they immediately focused on that to the neglect of getting ready for school - Andrew almost missed the bus).

I know that sometimes I make the lives of those around me more difficult because I require knowing what is going on (when my children are around, if "no kids" I am able to not need as much info).  

I think protecting my sanity is part of my success as a Mom.  I realize that sometimes I need breaks from my kids, sometimes I need for my kids to better help out, and sometimes I need to step in a do it without my kids "help".  What I am hoping is that I still find a balance with it all and that I am enjoying it even though I know that I will have frustrations in the midst of everything.  So call me whatever you want, "List Freak", "Control Freak", "Freak" whatever, just as long as the important things are happening and my sanity is an important thing that needs to happen on a daily basis.

I'll let you all know how the schedule/system goes.

2 comments:

Danika said...

So what does it say about me if I'm a list freak, a control freak, AND a sanity freak? I'm a total freak, and darn proud of it!!!! That's probably why we get along so well...

Kristina said...

I think all of those things just show that you know what you need to be successful. I do think that we have similar ways of thinking, although very different opinions about things. I also think another reason that we get along so well is that we are very open about what we think/feel. There is no "false pretense" that you get with some people. That could be considered a good or bad thing. For me, I prefer people who are open and truthful in their thoughts and emotions.