Monday, December 29, 2008

What is in a name....?

No story about flowers, just about my kids and the names they give their stuffed animals/dolls. AnnaLisa has always come up with some incredibly unusual names (i.e. Lolly, and Fossy) for her loved buddies. My boys have never gone that route. JJ has a lion, tiger, and orange dog (that one use to be daddy's when he was a little boy). I asked him their names and he told me: Lion, Tiger, and Orange Dog. Collectively we call them "his boys" because he sleeps with them every night and we have to hunt for them whenever they have been lost.

This morning I was helping the boys with their morning "getting ready for the day" routine. This includes dressing themselves, making their beds, and saying prayers among other things. I was helping JJ with making his bed while Andrew was making his (on the top bunk) when he calls down, "Where's dinosaur?". I smiled as I am sure he is talking about the huge stuffed triceratops that "Santa" got for him. I look around and don't see it, only his black and white stuffed dog that we gave him 3 years ago (usually called "my dog"). Next thing I see is Andrew sailing through the air as he jumps down from his bed right next to "dog".
"There he is."
I ask, "who?"
He says, "Dinosaur" pointing to his dog. I look at the dog a bit befuddled and say, that is a dog.
Andrew smiles and pointing to the collar that he made a few days ago, "Yes, but his name is dinosaur". And sure enough, Andrew unfolds a 6 inch piece of paper that has two holes punched into so that he could feed through the string that he tied around his dog's neck. He shows me the dog's name, "dinosaun". Then he explains that he wrote the "n" instead of the "r" by mistake but he knows the difference.
Hmmm, makes sense right? You have to account in that Andrew really loves dinosaurs. If I were to drop him off at the public library by the dinosaur book section with a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, I could come back in a few days and he would simply ask for some more sandwiches.

Well, just when I thought my world could not get rocked anymore, in comes my husband. He has "Orange dog" in his hands to toss on JJ's bed. I told him about the dinosaur story.
He smiles and says, "By the way, did you know that JJ has renamed Orange Dog? His name is now "Ambulance".

2 comments:

Danika said...

It must be a boy thing. Brandon's stuffed animals are named "Monkey", "Beary", "Penguiy", and "Elly (an elephant)". So creative! But at least I always know which one he's looking for!

sara said...

My kids have always come up with the least original names; like Danika said! Santa brought some freshwater crabs for our fishtank (it was the year of "alive presents") and Noah named one of them Paphet (pay-fet) - I was so glad to finally have an "original" name! I found out later he got it from a Star Wars character but that's okay; at least it's not "crabby" or something. I love the name Ambulance!