Sunday, October 25, 2009

What a parent tries to do...

Often as a mother I find myself doing something that I would normally not do, if it were not for my children. No, I am not talking about changing diapers although that would fit the definition of what I am trying to describe. I am talking about the dopey things, the things that if we were to do them without a child on our laps, we would look insanely silly.

Today's example was during Sacrament meeting. The choir was singing a lovely musical number about making right choices. It has several verses. I am familiar with this song. I had passed off one of the babies to a willing neighbor to hold while I was trying to keep my 2 year old busy paying attention to the music. I remember when I was a young girl, my dad taking my finger and following along with the song in a Hymnal. I was trying to do something similar to that. The choir was in the front of the chapel, we were sitting on the second row of a rather large chapel. I had MaggieMae sitting on my lap and I was moving her arms similar to what the choir director was doing up front. I have to say that I was rather impressed with myself at keeping time with the director and usually bringing the second hand up for added choir instruction approximately the same time the director did. This was probably my downfall. We were finishing up the first verse with a brief interlude before the next verse. I was feeling great and so was MaggieMae because this is the time she decided to declare, "Yeaaaaa!" in her sweet, very loud 2 year old voice. If I had been in control, I could have prevented this, but I was enjoying the moment of it all and burst out laughing. Then Maggie started to chuckle. Then as hard as I tried I could not stop laughing. MaggieMae brings out that companion influenced laughter that only my siblings at this point had brought out. The tears were rolling down my face and there was obviously only one thing I could do. I grabbed Maggie and ran for the hall door. When I got out to the hallway, I set a befuddled Maggie down. She looked up at me and could not figure out why I was laughing so hard with tears rolling down my face.

Well, they say confession is good for the soul. I guess my soul is feeling doubly good today! Hopefully next time we decide to be a "Shadow choir director" we will not get a case of the giggles. Good job to the choir for an excellent song and keeping a straight face.

1 comment:

sara said...

That's so funny! I didn't hear you guys at all... of course I pretty much tune everything else out when I'm in "director mode" :)