Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mid-life crisis or teaching an *gasp* old dog new tricks

Well, today was my first piano lesson.  My children take piano lessons and one of their teachers agreed to teach me lessons.  I take them right after JJ is done his lessons.

I have taught myself quite a bit over the years.  As a child I had a couple of piano lessons, but my strength in music was the clarinet.  I started taking lessons after 3rd grade and did lessons for 9 years.  I don't think I was ever better than mediocre, although I learned the notes real well.

As I started playing notes my teacher told me that I had a natural knack for organ style playing because of the way I glide one note into the next.  (Boy this guy has my number, tell me I am good and I 'll pay attention).  He also asked me how I was counting my timing.  I told him honestly I was not counting because I had heard my children play these songs so much, I can just hear it correctly in my head.

So last week he assigns me 12 pages (about 1/4 the book) and I "mastered them all".  Today I got about 15 more pages, so I will be finishing the book next week.  Yes, that is 1/4 + 1/4 = 1 whole, but that is because I skipped the first half of the book.  So next week I start on book two...so maybe I can handle it.

For those who are finding the timing odd, this was something I set up a couple weeks back, but had to cancel last week because of doctor's appointments for Andrew.  I am excited to be starting today.  Playing the piano for me calms me down, now if I had to play for others that may very well change.

Oh, my goal for piano?  I explained to my teacher - want to be good enough to play in my house, but not so good they would ask me to play for church. :)

2 comments:

sara said...

Hooray! I'm so glad that you're taking. I know you'd thought about it for quite a while and I'm thrilled that you've taken the leap :)

Kristina said...

Thanks, this is a fun, relaxing opportunity for me. I am hoping it helps my kids too!