Thursday, May 17, 2012

not brain surgery

Usually I start a post with a picture, but lately the pictures I have found to go with my blog, well...they turn my stomach, so hopefully in a few more posts I can get back to pictures.

Today we met with the Neuro-surgeon.  We looked at pictures of Andrew's brain, skull, eyes, everything above his neck...well we actually saw parts of his neck too!  Anyway Dr. Shafron is chatting with us and explaining how simple this procedure is, it's not too close to any blood vessels, etc and he turns to us and says, "You know, it's not brain surgery...it is skull and scalp surgery.  I do brain surgery (usually) and this is not it".  I just busted out laughing in my...brain.  It is so funny to me to hear that quote actually used correctly.

Andrew has skull and scalp surgery tomorrow.  It will start around 2 and hopefully end around 3:00.  They could use a "paste" to fill in the whole (which is 18.7 mm) which would help the bone to grow back.  So Andrew will not have a metal plate in his head.  They might forgo the paste if the hole is small enough (like the size of a dime) because he feels it would grow back on it's own.  It will probably be out-patient.

So wish us luck and keep us in your prayers.

2 comments:

sara said...

Good to hear that it's outpatient and not "brain surgery," which I guess would be like "rocket science," huh? :)

Thanks for the updates; that was a very informative, concise description of the condition that you typed out; I looked it up yesterday on Wikipedia and I think I came away from there more confused. Tell Andrew his old piano teacher says hi. And the Pratt kids are all praying too.

Danika said...

Thanks for the info - I was going to call you this morning to see what the surgeon had to say yesterday. I'm glad you are posting to keep a good record of what happened & when. If you plan on posting all your updates here, maybe you should send the blog link to everyone again?