Monday, January 5, 2009

When did my kids get so big?

Yesterday we were in church and I went to check up on the kids in Primary (children's Sunday School classes). Primary is divided up into classes by age and then they also combine the younger kids, Junior Primary, for a singing time and the older kids, Senior Primary, do singing time after the younger kids turn (they "flip-flop" the kids in classes with the singing time). Anyway, I had to change the baby's diaper so I thought I would peek in to see how the kids were doing in their new classes (they change classes at the beginning of the year). When I looked in, I could only see the boys. AnnaLisa was not around. I went back to class (because I trust the Primary teachers, and the fact that AnnaLisa's whole class and teacher were not there). I leaned over to my friend Becky and asked when the kids "transitioned" to Senior Primary. She said it was the year that they turned 8. AnnaLisa is turning 8 this November. So I said to Becky, "Wow, I guess my little girl is growing up". She said, "Wait until she graduates from Primary (at age 12) and goes to Young Womens.

I know I am told by so many that "your kids grow up fast" and "enjoy them while they are young" but it floors me that AnnaLisa is already this big. She talks about getting baptized (in our church children must be 8 years old before they can be baptized) all the time. She is reading scriptures, praying about it, and trying to make good choices. From a Mom's perspective, she is about as wonderful as a kid can get. But I guess it is experiences like this that throw it in your face about how she will not be my little girl forever.

And I guess one other painful truth is that my "baby" is 17 months old and will be going into Nursery (toddler's play class) in a month. What will it be like to not have a baby anymore?

1 comment:

Danika said...

Maybe that's why some people keep having more & more babies?!?! I am really looking forward to having no babies around. I'm sure I'll miss the craziness...someday!