Thursday, July 8, 2010

2 bits worth...

I started cutting hair our 3rd year of marriage. I cut Jeff's hair and did OK. Then we started adding boys to our family and Andrew and JJ got haircuts from mom too.
About two years later we decided to buy a really nice set of clippers. We spent $100 on that set and still have it (going on six years). It is wonderful, well worth paying more than the $35 bucks we spent on our first set of clippers.
JJ and Andrew both had a tough time with haircuts. I think it is normal, but with autism, it seems to amplify the difficulty. Realizing that they were going to need haircuts for the rest of their lives, I decided to try and see if we could modify their attitudes towards haircuts. It has worked well. Some people are surprised at how often I cut the boys hair (every 4-6 weeks), but it has actually made it easier. A bonus to this is that I got lots more practice at hair cutting and I really don't mind it at all.
So here is my youngest boy with his most recent hair cut. I don't know, maybe it is me, but don't you think kids look even cuter when they just got their hair cut?

2 comments:

Danika said...

You are lucky your boys can go 4-6 weeks between haircuts. Mine (all 3 of them) need haircuts every 3-4 weeks!

sara said...

Great job! Man that boy is looking grown up.