Saturday, July 31, 2010

Steak and Kidney Pie?


I am not sure how this happened, but yesterday our family seemed to commit to trying steak and kidney pie. It started out with JJ having an interest. I told him I would look up a recipe and check it out (this is a basic mom defense...if I can't find it, then I obviously can't do it...too many recipes on line, that is all I will say). Anyway the kids were getting excited about the idea. I was not really supportive of the idea, but supportive of the kids. Then they mentioned it to dad. He was not thrilled with the concept. Then true to form, I started teasing him about it...all the sudden a new dish outside of my comfort zone did not sound so bad. The final straw was when JJ turned to dad and said, "You can't say you don't like it, if you have never tried it". Evidentially not only is JJ listening when he doesn't look like he is, he is ready for parenthood!

SOOoooo, I guess today is going to have the chore of finding a butcher shop to find a kidney? Speaking of the actual kidney part of this, JJ at first was repulsed by the idea of having a human kidney in his food. Once I explained to him that it was a cow kidney and that we do not eat humans, he was ok with it. Jeff (dad) is still quite a bit taken back by it. As for me...I just try not to think about that part, and try and focus on the concept of supporting an idea my kids had for getting out of their comfort zone and trying something new and different...very different.

No comments: