Monday, July 5, 2010

Bang, bang!

Well, I have always wanted to learn to shoot (something a little bit more than going out and hitting tin cans), so Jeff signed me up for a class for my birthday (one of many wonderful, and thoughtful gifts this year).

I tried out two 9 millimeter guns (a CV and a Ruger), beyond that, I am afraid I am ignorant as to what types of guns there were. I preferred the Ruger, but the CV was what I used to shoot most of these marks. I was impressed that I did so well. All of the bullets hit the target, many in the main area (worth 10 points). Point wise, I believe I got a 464 out of 500. Our instructor spent about 5 minutes teaching us how to aim the gun. Unfortunately he spent about three hours giving us a lecture about the history of guns, ammunition, etc. I was really getting an itchy trigger finger by the time we got around to practice.

I was real disappointed at my first shot, because at first I thought I had gone real wide and to the right. You can notice on the top right corner of the target there is a logo that has a bullet shot as part of the logo. I thought that was my first shot - I was real embarrassed, until I realized that it was the logo.

Shooting was much louder than I thought it would be, even with ear protection. Our instructor pulled out a 45 and was showing us all the wrong ways to shoot (one handed, not firm stance, hand under wrist, hand under hand, etc). We were standing next to him so we could see how his hand bounced so much, but I felt like I had a front row to the 4th of July fireworks.

During class I had these grandiose ideas of becoming a sharp shooter and possibly competing, until he mentioned how many hours it takes to wear out some (cheap) guns (10,000 hours). I realized if there were people out there practicing that much, than I probably was not going to be able to reach that level. That is probably OK. I don't really think I want to shoot enough to become that skilled at it. Although, I am very impressed that I did so well and Jeff and I are going to go shooting this Friday as part of our weekly date and feel that we might try and fit it in every couple of months for a date night.

1 comment:

sara said...

Way to go! I'm a terrible shot, but it's been years since I've tried. Aaron made me learn how to use his 9mm years ago but I don't really remember how to load it & etc. Last year at daycamp I shot the bb guns and I think I managed to hit the target (which was only like 10 feet away). Fortunately, Aaron can shoot okay :)