Monday, June 13, 2011

To sleep or not to sleep...

Doesn't this look cool? I always enjoy searching for pictures on-line. This baby cost $15,000. Although you have to admit it looks really cool. This is one of those things I'd get if money were no concern. Ah well, it is and so I am thankful to have a new mattress and box spring.

We got a "Beauty Rest" which is our attempt at upgrading. While we upgraded in quality, we down graded in size (to queen). We are having to get use to a firm bed (our last one was ultra saggy. I had to use pillows in bed with me at night to stabilize myself. Now the bed is so firm that I don't need pillows and am learning to sleep on my back. We are also adjusting to not having to climb out of the bed. It is a bit cozier than before but we seem to be adjusting to the smaller size just fine.

We may eventually decide to do a foam pad or the like to make the bed a bit softer, but we think we need to give it a week or so first. We had such a saggy bed for so long, we may have over-compensated. Unfortunately when I am in a frustrating situation for too long, then I have a tendency to over compensate (I know, I am human!). Jeff and I discussed this a bit before we decided on a bed and we felt that if it were too firm we could always do a topper, but if it were too soft, there was not a whole lot we could do to adjust it, so we decided to err on the side of caution.

3 comments:

sara said...

I hope it works out for you! We got a new bed after 10 years of marriage (and upgraded to a King); we tried 3 different mattresses (as in, had them delivered, slept on for a night or two, then returned) until we thought we'd found the perfect one. After a few months it started getting saggy in the spots where we sleep, but we still have it (four years later). I'm okay with it but Aaron is always trying to find the still-firm spots on the mattress to sleep on. Hopefully our *next* new mattress will be a little better. I hope yours lasts a long time!

Kristina said...

That was our problem too, except I was the one looking for the firm spots. Getting our criteria straight helped (one was looking for soft, the other looking for relieve of tension/pain when trying out beds). We got a 800 coil wrapped Simmons Beauty rest for $530, in the stores they offered to "mark it down
" to $800 pre-tax. So we feel like we got a great deal.
Jeff says he is dreaming again, we both wake up a little stiff, but it is much less than before and now it wears off after a few minutes (before it was last all day).
I think we might try a mattress topper to soften it up a bit.

Familia Fowler said...

We totally did the same thing. We have had to add a foam topper and a feather one too. Such a balancing act!