Monday, June 15, 2009

Who says public speaking is people's greatest fear?

Ok, I know my kids are already considered "non-typical" but this just cracks me up how non-typical this is (or at least seems to me). This last week AnnaLisa started asking me questions about how come she has not given a talk in Primary (children's Sunday School class). She wants to know why she has not received an assignment. Background: there are probably around 40 kids that come each week to Primary. They have one child give a talk a week, so the average is around once a year, right? They make up a schedule at the beginning of the month and post it to the parents so that parents can help their kids be ready to be involved in participating (other assignments include prayer and scripture, of which AnnaLisa has had the opportunity to do those quite a bit). I tell her, if you want to give a talk, then ask the lady in charge if you can do it (I am laughing inside because even at this age they get children resistant to public speaking and rarely get volunteers).

So in church after it is all over, AnnaLisa asks the lady who is 2nd(?) in command, the head lady is on vacation, when she can give a talk. The 2nd in command I think misunderstands and says that she will check the schedule. I walked up as this was happening, and realize the misunderstanding. AnnaLisa is just standing there a little unsure of what is going on. I explain that AnnaLisa is voulunteering, not asking to see when/if she is on the schedule. I see a slight raise of the eyebrows, "ok, we can put her on for next week." AnnaLisa is thrilled. We head out to the car, daddy and siblings are waiting for us, and you would have thought AnnaLisa had won the lottery. "Daddy, guess what, next week I get to give a talk in Primary!"

1 comment:

sara said...

I'm glad she's excited! I wonder if she'll be as excited about speaking when she's doing it in Sacrament meeting in a few years?