Friday, September 9, 2011

In their footsteps

One of the unifying things about us is that we were all little once. Some of us may still be little, but most of us grow up, move on, and move away. I am inspired by my children - their innocence, simpleness, and joy. I look to my childhood and see the same. I expect the same thoughts have occurred to my parents, grandparents and so on. We don't realize how connected we are to our future and our past. This is why I am starting this blog, to keep stories of my past, the past that came before my birth for my future - my children and so on.

I enjoy doing family history research. I have done it off and on for almost two decades. Recently I felt the Siren call of family history and started up again. I am amazed with how much has changed or been improved upon in the last 9 years. Until the internet, family search has been time consuming, arduous, and expensive. Now I can do it for 15 minutes searching libraries around the country while cooking dinner (and an extra bonus is I don't have to get a babysitter).
Recently I have been delving into Sons of the American Revolution applications, Pioneer indexes, and census' galore. I have also found journals shared by others through Ancestory.com. I have shared these via email with a few relatives, but now I am starting to get overwhelmed by the stories and sources. As a result, I have decided on this blog for keeping stories, pictures, etc. I might even through in an observation, how to do, etc so that it can be a complete resource for me as well as an over-the-top resource for my living relatives.

No comments: