Sunday, May 10, 2009

pride difficulties

About a year after we were married, Jeff got laid off. AnnaLisa was born a month later. After about 6 months of still looking for a job, I suggested that we move to my parents house to save rent money. My parents have a 5 bedroom house plus two apartments that fit 12 people which would be empty for the summer. We had no reason to stay where we lived, and it seemed real logical to me. I felt that Jeff might not be very open to it, so I prayed that his heart would be softened for a couple of days before I suggested it to him. He was surprisingly open to it, although I could tell that he was resistant. I suggested rather than discuss it today, that he take a few days to pray about it and then we would talk about it. Well, shortly there after we decided that it would be a good move.

At that point I called my mom, who of course was thrilled, and we moved in a month later. We ended up living there for about 1 1/2 months. It was really great because we got close to my parents and my brother, who lives around the corner from my parents. We then moved out of state to Arizona. I was glad to have that time of closeness to them.

That was 7 years ago. Today I found out that he struggled with the move. He says looking back it was his pride (which I admit that moving into your in-laws would probably be difficult for anyone). I never knew he struggled with it. I knew it was not a desired choice by him, but I never knew it was that difficult.

In a slightly ironic way, it is interesting to me that moving to my parents brought relief to me. I knew that we could stay there pretty much as long as we needed. It helped me relax a lot - interesting how the same situation is so different for others.

It always amazes me when I learn something knew about my husband. I am also pleased that while it was tough for him, he chose to do what we felt was right and was a huge blessing for our family.

1 comment:

sara said...

It is amazing, isn't it; not long ago I learned something new about Aaron that I had never known after 11 1/2 years of being married; I was amazed!