Saturday, May 9, 2009

Yep, I have one of those kind of husbands...

Not to long ago I read a friends blog and she was commenting about how her husband was "one of those kind of husbands...". The idea intrigued me, so I am finally getting around to writing about my husband.

Tonight when I got home from the store, I caught him mid-act...he was cleaning the kids bathroom. Now as if that was not bad enough (and trust me with at least one son who is still having difficulty with aiming it is bad enough by itself), I noticed when I put the groceries down on the counter that they were clean. I could hear the quite motor of the dishwasher chugging along as it washed tonight's dishes. Then to add to it all, he ran back and forth bringing the groceries in from the car while I put the food away. What kind of husband does this?!

On his second or third trip in from the car, I teasingly asked him if he needed me to leave because I got home too soon (he was still working on the bathrooms). He smiled and went to get the rest of the groceries.

I know I have a gem when it comes to husbands. Now he did not start out this way. Right after we got married I remember him sitting down in front of the computer and "ignoring" me for hours. And don't think that I caused this change although I am sure I had a bit to do with it. He has over the years become more helpful. It is a change that has helped both of us, but was his choice all along.

I think one of the reason's why I had some part in this is because for me being married to him has caused me opportunities to reflect and change my attitudes and behaviors. I think it is based in the realization that I want myself and my marriage to be really good. Jeff set a couple of examples for me that really helped. The first is that he refused to "keep track". If a baby had a stinky diaper, it was whoever had the baby at the time, not the person who has not most recently changed a diaper. Now if someone gets "lucky" and gets three stinky diapers in a row, than Jeff would probably jump in and change the next one. This not keeping track made me realize that it may be my turn every time or no time or just whenever I am available. It was a change from the way I grew up which was very much "Even Steven".

Another reason, which I will take credit for, is that I do not nag Jeff. I ask once, and if he does not do it, either I do it or it does not get done. Over the years I think he has become accustom to doing it when it is asked. He knows that I hate nagging (which is why I refuse to do it), and decided that he does not want to encourage that on any level, so he tries to help out before being asked or at the first request.

Jeff has shared one thought that has helped him over the years. He asked his dad for advice on how to love someone (a girl he was dating long before me) and his dad responded, "Serve her". Well, thankfully he never fell in love with her, but he definitely loves me a lot. I think it shows a great deal of self-control to serve someone that you are not feeling very loving towards or loved by. Over the years I have seen him jump in on tons of different tasks to help me.

Well, these are some of the reasons why I think Jeff is wonderful. I am glad he has stayed with me for 8 1/2 years. I just think he is terrific. I am thankful that so many of his actions are not based on what he would prefer to do or what he is comfortable with. I think his attitude has become "what would help out my family the most right now?" I think whatever the phrase is that captures his attitude, is wonderful, especially at a time when my patience, fortitude, and abilities are limited.

3 comments:

Danika said...

We totally scored with snagging the Park men, didn't we? :)

Park Place Ukraine said...

There is no better gift for a Mom than a tribute to her sons from their wives. Thank you, my wonderful daughters-in-law. Mom

sara said...

I love this analysis. I need to remember more often not to nag :) And I love the "even steven" realization. I bet that has made a world of difference. I tend to think in terms of "evenness" too often.