Monday, August 2, 2010

Steak and Kidney Pie - part 2

Well, pictures don't lie. This was loved by my family. Two of my kids asked for thirds. JJ initially did not want to eat it, but then we figured out he just did not want to eat the crust (it was a one crust pie). We reminded him of the fact that it was his idea. When he found out he only had to eat the meat and potatoes, he went for it.
Even the babies liked it.

I made a few modifications - 1) I only put in half the amount of kidney it called for, 2)half the onions (which I would put in the correct amount of onions next time). The kidney does have a distinctive flavor and smell, but it is not overwhelming. I think because it was "outnumbered" (I put in two pounds of steak to half a pound of kidney), it was mellowed out a bit. With Kidney only being $1/pound, it is sort of tempting to try again, but I think I learned that my family is open to beef pot pie (and chicken too), so I think that while I will probably not repeat making Kidney pie again, I learned a lot and it was a good experience overall.

I think for me it was mental. I did it because it was a good learning experience, to support JJ in reaching beyond his comfort zone, and because JJ challenged Jeff to give something he had never eaten before a try. I did not care for the smell cutting up or browning the meat and the taste was OK. I think it is one of those things that I would be open to if it was part of a meal, but not expecting it to resurface on my menu selection.

1 comment:

sara said...

Wow, I'm proud of you! Aaron said to me tonight, "Guess what the Parks had for dinner?" and I said, "Steak and kidney pie!" Good job on trying something new. But, I think I'll stay away from kidney myself :)