Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Teaching kids the value of money and the widow's mite.

It is a difficult thing to balance how much kids need to know about their parent's financial situations. We have had many talks with our kids over the last 4 years as we have prepared financially to buy our house. There have been many times they've asked to go out to eat or to buy toys and we told them no because it is not in our budget. We reminded them we were saving for a house and that we had food or toys at home that were sufficient.
Now that we are in escrow and the kids are struggling to understand why buying a house takes so long. I am not sure what set off this idea in JJ's mind, but he walked up to me and handed me his 35 cents and told me that I could put that towards buying the house. All I could think to say was thank you. What I should have said was "JJ that is so sweet, momma knows that this is all the money you have access to." This is just another example of JJ's kind generosity that he is becoming known for.

No comments: