Monday, January 24, 2011

Scared to say it, but I think sanity has returned


I am starting up two classes through the community college - Child Development and Belly Dancing. Starting up projects around the house, and I feel calm? These last two years have been crazy for me with emergency surgeries, twin babies, Jeff finishing up Grad school and well life. This last month things we have been striving for have been falling into place. Kids are finally getting chores done, things are getting put away, and we have routines! I think part of this has been as a result of my diligent effort to find ways that work for the family as well as making sure I am having balance in my life. Many of you know that I volunteer on a Governing board for the Arizona Infants and Toddlers (which I am now President of), have 6 children + college student, and we recently moved (which means I am also a landlord now). I am finding what works for me and what doesn't.

I need to be learning things in my life. I need to be able to do some things outside of my home without my children (just a day or two a month), and I need to get 8 hours of sleep. What I don't need is TV, hobbies that involve a lot of time or space dedicated to them, or things that don't allow for children. I am also finding that some activities while fun just waste my time. I need to have some result from my activities/hobbies.

What I have noticed is that by having some of my family step up (kids are getting that chores will not go away when ignored, daddy and mommy are working more in unison, and babies are walking and starting to talk. These things all go together to mean less work for mom as well as a cleaner home to enjoy being in (nothing saps my energy more than being exhausted from working to sit down in a dirty room).

My energy levels are returning to what they were pre-baby. My husband has noticed and is taking the "I will quietly enjoy this as long as it lasts, but I hope it lasts forever" stance, more commonly known as the "this is what you use to be like, the girl I married". However it is said, I am enjoying it too!

2 comments:

Danika said...

You are brave by saying that you feel like things are somewhat under control again...that's like ASKING for trouble! :)

Kristina said...

Naah- I guess I am not superstitious that way. I see it as recognizing the blessings in my life and expressing gratitude. I need to recognize these times, because surely I have the other times enough on their own. This way I balance out the crazies with the fabulous and get a real balance, instead of thinking I am always feeling like I am on a roller coaster ride.