Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Perfect Parents?

Where do we get the idea that parents are suppose to be perfect? A friend of mine emailed talking about how her daughter berated her for her many parenting mistakes and blamed her drug problem on her parents. My friend was asking for advice, but I am wondering how being human is a mistake as far as parenting goes?

I know for me I try to do my best and be a great example for my kids, but I know I am not perfect. I try not to let my kids make the mistakes they see me make (like when I lost my cool the other day and yelled, my daughter told me she did not like it, I admitted I was wrong and that I need to work on it a bit, and I asked if she would help me). But where did this delusion that parents are perfect, or even that we are somehow schooled in what we are doing? I mean I know more about being a kid than I do a parent - I've been a kid for twenty some odd years and a parent for only seven (unless you talk collectively then I get 17 years of credit).

So if any of you know where this idea of perfect parents comes in, let me know.

No comments: