Thursday, November 12, 2009

What is 2/3's of a pun? ...P-U!

Can you wear a Christmas tree skirt? Jeff and I were window shopping and saw Christmas tree skirts. We pulled out a few that we thought were nice, until we saw the price tag - yikes! maybe I could make something. Anyway, we continued through the rack and I came across one that looked like it belonged at a Fiesta. I put it in front of me like a skirt and posed like someone dancing at a fiesta. Jeff thought it looked great on me and told me so. I made a joke about wearing it to church, but I wasn't sure if I was "tree"y enough. I poked my arms out like branches and asked him, "What if I bark? Would that help (pull off the tree thing)?" He rolled his eyes - the appropriate response to a pun and said, "It is starting to grow on me." To which I responded, "Tell me the truth, you 'pine' for me don't you?" Then I added that I would "Leaf him alone".

Silly I know, but I grew up on puns. My dad is well known for them, most of my siblings are very capable of joining in, but it is still a favorite past time of mine. I don't know if Jeff did puns before he got married to me, but he does now. His skills in this area have definitely increased as well. Whenever I do one I always remember my dad. It is interesting what we remember and what is important to us once we have grown. I don't know what I will pass on to my children, but I hope it is sweet memories and honorable past times like this.

No comments: