Friday, August 7, 2009

AnnaLisa's Meet the teacher night

 
AnnaLisa got to go back to her last year's teacher and say hello and give her a hug (which AnnaLisa talked about for the last couple of days), but after 10 minutes on her old stomping grounds, she decided it was time to move on to 2nd grade. Daddy took the kids and headed on over to her new teacher while I chatted with Andrew's current teacher (the same one AnnaLisa had last year). When I walked into the new teacher's room, I felt like I was in Disneyland, well ok, more like a Mickey Mouse museum. There were dolls, chairs, lamps, drop cloths, etc that were all Mickey Mouse. Evidentally there was a Minnie Mouse section, but I did not notice it.

I headed over to who I assumed was the teacher, (she was the only other adult in the room that I was not married to) and introduced myself. AnnaLisa was not far away and was reading some of the information that had been left on her desk for us to take. Her teacher chatted with me, slightly distracted by AnnaLisa's reading. "She is good at reading", her teacher comments to me. I smile (I try not to brag to people about my kids academic levels, but they all tend to be high), and told her that AnnaLisa reads well and was in the highest reading level last year.

AnnaLisa's teacher directs AnnaLisa to a few activities she has had the kids take part in. AnnaLisa enjoys them, but it is obvious that the novelty of these activities is a challenge for her to figure out - unfortunately she struggles with the same disease her father has where they can't often see what is right infront of them, especially if it is not the designated place for such an object.

As we left her new classroom, AnnaLisa announced, "I have a math book in my desk. A whole book about math!" We commented that sounded like it would be fun. Then she said, "My teacher will tell us to get our math books out and to turn to a certain page and then we will do math!" Jeff and I giggled. The thought that came to me was, if a 2nd grade math book thrills you, wait until you get into Calculus. You got so much math to learn you may regret this math book excitement.

All in all, AnnaLisa had lots of fun tonight as well and when her brother started wishing it was Sunday night, she just started wishing that school started tomorrow, regardless of what day it was.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: