Monday, August 17, 2009

How much is a bandaid going to cost now?


OK, maybe this is too simple of a question that very well could reflect my lack of understanding on this issue, but why not instead of making a "new solution" to an existing problem, why don't we look at our old solution and see if there is a better fix? I will admit I don't know the in's and out's of the health care reform (other than the fact that our health care system has some definite issues), but rather than add taxes, penalties, mandates, etc. - why not reverse what we did that we thought was such a good solution? Stop letting companies get tax credits for supplying insurance to their employees?

Now, I know this would hurt those of us who have really great health insurance (which my family pays a lot for out of our own pockets), but what I think it would do is change the motivation for insurance companies. Right now who are their customers? HR departments in companies. They don't take me out to lunch and try to get me to start using their companies - that is the HR person who gets that perk.

Like I said, maybe I don't understand all the intricacies of this problem, but why can't health insurance be like car insurance? I know there will be some issues to still work out, but after reading a few articles that raise questions like: fat tax, death panels, health care run like DMV, etc. I have to reflect, are we trying to fix health care or are we trying to fix what we did not fix so well the first time...or is this the second time - uh, no I think this is the third time that government has tried to fix health care. Hmm- maybe there is something that is being missed.

Is it "We the people?" instead of the government?

No comments: