Friday, August 28, 2009

We do donuts.

 
There are sometimes that you have to understand the importance of some item in the history of a family before you can truly appreciate a comment by one of it's members. This is such a time. Doughnuts are such an item.

For some crazy reason Dunkin' Donuts has a history with me. Probably started out when I would get up at some crazy time on a Saturday morning to help my mom deliver around 200 newspapers. We would stop off at DD after picking up the newspapers and get a donut (this was my payment for getting out of bed at around 4:00 am on a Saturday). I don't know how much faster I made the job, but I know my mom was always willing to buy me a donut for it. That was one of my big dissapointments when I moved out west - No Dunkin Donuts.

Well, moving to Arizona we found they had a few, which were far away and we would go to occasionally, usually to send home to a brother when my parents were visiting. Then about a year ago they opened a store a mere 2 miles from our house (Baseline and Stapley). They opened a week before MaggieMae's first birthday. We picked some up at the opening (yes we waited in line for close to an hour). The kids liked them so much that for Maggie's birthday the following week, we bought some for her birthday (you are allowed to pick whatever you want to eat for your birthday). My older three at that time really did not have the cognitive skills (yet) to handle those types of decisions, so I would just pick meals I knew they liked. Maggie definitely had her own voice on this matter. She let me know that she wanted doughnuts. So this is a picture of Maggie on her first birthday eatting donuts.

So fast forward to last night. Jeff, Maggie and I are in my bedroom and Maggie is talking about the baby stuff in our room. She is two and has not slept in the crib for about 3 months now. We have been working on her getting the idea that she is going to have babies (brother and sister) in that crib soon, so she can't sleep in it. She turns to us and says, "William (her soon to be here brother) eat a donut and go to sleep in the crib". Well, I guess she has it figured out - as far as the crib goes. As for a doughnut for William? Yes, I'd love a Boston Cream!.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: