Sunday, June 20, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?...a daddy



Andrew and I had a conversation this week that is too precious to not be recorded. I was having a rough day with Andrew and his behaviors he was choosing. I had a babysitter come over to watch the kids so I could go to the chiropractor. I had intended on taking one of the babies (the other was sleeping and I still do not feel comfortable leaving the babies with only one person) with me. As I walked out the door, I thought I should ask Andrew to come with me. I asked him to come and he said yes (usually he prefers to stay at home). We got to talk quite a bit. Unfortunately it started on some of the negative behaviors we had just finished dealing with. Then it bridged into the future and what he would like for his family and what he wants his life to be like (we were talking about his selfish choices, and how when he was a grown up he would need to sacrifice some for his family). For some crazy reason the conversation turned to his career choices (at present this is paleontologist and archeologist). I mentioned that there were three things that should influence his choice for a career: 1)Will it allow you to support your family and allow your wife to remain in the home to raise your children, 2)Is it something that you reasonably enjoy, 3)Will it allow you the type of family life you desire (and obviously 4)is it legal). So then we talked about family life.
Mom: Andrew what do you want your family life to be like?
Andrew: I want to have 6 kids (I started to giggle, bcse I was fairly sure I knew the next answer, but I asked anyway).
Mom: Andrew, why do you want 6 kids?
Andrew: Because that is how many kids we have in our family.
I burst out laughing.
Andrew: Why are you laughing?
I told him, when Daddy and I were talking about getting married, I asked Daddy how many kids he wanted in our family. He told me eight. Then I ask, "Do you know why he said eight Andrew?"
A: No. Why?
Mom: Because that is how many kids he had in his family growing up. You are so much like your daddy.

I looked back at Andrew in the rear-view mirror to see a big old "watermelon grin" on my boy's face. He loves being like his daddy.

No comments: