Sunday, June 27, 2010

you should wear clean underwear in case you have an accident...


Jeff and I were finishing up lunch and chatting a bit while I finished feeding William, when JJ, a lunch straggler, came back from the bathroom to finish eating. He announced that he was wearing two underwears. Jeff and I were a bit confused, until we realized he meant, for some strange reason, that he had two pairs of underwear on. We laughed at this. We asked JJ why he was wearing two pairs, and he said he did not know. We were a bit befuddled how a person could not know he was wearing two pairs, but to JJ it was a minor oversight that anyone could have done. I smiled and looked at Jeff who was still amazed beyond understanding, when I said, "That is OK, I know a father who does things like that in my view, and it befuddles me as well". It is not uncommon for Jeff to 'search the house' for a missing item, for mom to look in it's designated spot and find it sitting in plain view. When we first got married, I would do this and he would get upset. Now, 10 years later, we have both accepted this quirk, and are thankful that we find missing item and move on with life. So Jeff smiled as he realized that when we do things that are "minor oversights", it doesn't seem really odd to us, however, it probably does to other people. This is when JJ pipes up and says, "...besides, if I have an accident, then I will only mess one pair of underwear and the other pair will be dry"...ah, the thought process of a 5 year old.

No comments: