Sunday, August 7, 2011

Books read - The Lost Symbol

I read this book recently (on my husband's new E-reader) and found it to be fun and interesting. I learned a bit about Mason's through it. I have a grandpa and others who I have known who are/were Mason's. I thought it had an interesting perspective about symbolism. He described taking communion/sacrament that most Christian groups do every Sabbath. The way he described it to his college students, they were all repulsed. When he pointed out he was talking about communion (eating and drinking the symbolic equivalent of another person's flesh and blood) they thought he was describing some type of pagan or demonic cult. He then explained to them that often when outside the group, it can be difficult to understand symbolism.

The book on the whole was great. I had a difficult time putting it down to do what I needed to do (laundry, cooking, playing with my kids, etc), which was additionally challenging because it was a really long book, so I spent a lot of time in this dilemma. It was a fun book and I appreciate a book that causes me to stop and think about how I perceive the world around me.

1 comment:

Danika said...

Have you read his other books? They are all good!
Do you guys enjoy historical fiction? I have a book you would probably like, but I'm not sure if you're willing to read it if the "old-fashioned" kind of book (you know, actual paper & ink)! :)
It's "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett. Look it up and let me know.