Tuesday, August 23, 2011

This mom rocks!

Every once in a while life parallels my emotions...in a good way! This morning is one of those days where while everything has not gone according to my plans, I have none-the-less had great achievements. I have gotten laundry washed, sorted, and put away with the kid's help (all my kids have about two weeks worth of clean clothes). I have washed dishes, and re-packaged 40 pounds of hamburger (bulk purchase in too large of containers to just shove into the freezer). I have bathed two babies, gotten three kids off to school, and I am sure half a dozen more things. But for me the most important parts are helping my kids feel successful and ready in getting ready for the day, having a good attitude all morning long, and did I mention playing games with Maggie after I successfully got two babies to sleep?

I am learning to measure success on my terms. For me, it is not about what most of the world values or gawk at, but rather helping my children take those baby steps to becoming successful, happy and independent individuals. I have seen a lot of success by giving them responsibilities to accomplish every morning and then assisting them with the chores. For example, the older three kids do dishes four times a week, two breakfast and two dinners, I tell them I am available to help them for the first 15 minutes after the meal is over. They can choose to waste that time or take advantage of it to their benefit. I know this means I am still doing dishes almost 100% of the time, but I am finding my kids quality of doing dishes improving, and I hope they are starting to learn how quickly and easy dishes really are.

This picture was actually taken a month ago, not today, but it so represent how happy our family feels when I am being successful for my family.

No comments: