Monday, August 1, 2011

What is a talent?

Wow, that is a big stack of coins! Got to love when your clip art is not exactly what you intended! I guess I need to work on my talent for matching up pictures to my posts a little bit better.

I picked this picture because I can not think of developing or having talents without thinking of the Parable of the Talents. I think that many people have very different definitions of what a talent is. For some it is a hobby that shows people how well you excel in a particular area (piano, dancing, etc). Others say a talent is a way to develop and discipline yourself/your personality (talent for mechanical things). Lastly we have a view that talents are the polite way of naming something about a person to give something that everyone can be successful at regardless if it brings any extended worth to the individual or society as a whole (that person is talented at flipping cards). For me I have not yet developed a concise description of what talents are, but I know they have a few qualities:
  • A talent must be developed over time through discipline. Some people are gifted in music, art, academics, etc but it is not a talent until you develop it beyond what comes naturally into something of greater worth because of your action to develop it.
  • A talent is not meant for self-consumption. It is meant to be shared in a positive uplifting manner to benefit the community individually or at large. There are some who will take a hobby which it's main focus is to entertain the individual, and claim it to be a talent. It is possible to have a talent be a hobby, but a hobby does not necessarily fit the definition of a talent.
  • A talent is meant to take you outside of your comfort zone in a comfortable way. It is a way of taking a leap of faith while having a hand to hold.
  • A talent develops you. It causes you to reach deep within yourself to bring forth what could not come out on it's own. It is a vehicle for you to develop such traits as patience, persistence, determination, humility, reaching out to others, etc.
On a personal note:
  • I think that a talent is based on creativity. Most often it creates something new. It is not talented to continually repeat something you have mastered in the past. You must continue to create new levels of competency and development.
  • I also believe that talents you develop now help you to prepare for the future, most importantly future trials.
  • I feel that development of a talent brings you closer to God. I know that when I have the opportunity to focus on drawing/painting, there is a peace and centeredness that I have experienced in only one other situation - the feelings of the Spirit. I feel a deep connection with the Creator as I create my meager attempts at art.
The Parable of the Talents is one of the more commonly known Parables (at least in the circles I travel in). It portrays the story of a Master leaving for a time, but before he does, he calls three of his servants to him. He gives them different sums of money (called Talents) one he gives 5, another 2, and the last he gives one. Then he departs. The servants that were given 5 and 2talents put their money to the traders and receive back 5 and 2 more Talents respectively. The servant that received but one talent buried it. When the Master comes back he calls all three back to him to give an accounting of what they have done with his Talents. The first two report back predictably showing him their increase. He is pleased. The final servant shows him the one Talent and says that he knew the Master was harsh and reaped where he had not sown and so he hid the talent. The Master is displeased with the servant telling him, "Thou wicked and slothful servant..." and takes the original Talent away from him and gives it to the first (St. Matt. 25:14-30).

Things that impact me from this story is that Talents are given to us to "add unto". In other words to improve upon. This is why I don't choose to say that people are talented just because they can do something well. It could be their "gift". I only consider it a talent if they have worked to improve and develop it. I also believe that one of the things we will be held accountable to when we leave this life to enter the next is what we did with our time and talents. We will be called upon to recon with the Lord and to show him what we did with what we had. I believe that time is part of that responsibility that we have. It is one of the ways we are equal. We all can choose to spend our time how we desire. Some with have to spend more time at work to support a family, others may have health needs that also take a lot of time, but we all seem to have some measure of discretionary time. I feel that one of the important things we can do with this time is developing our talents as well as helping those whom we have responsibility towards develop their talents.




1 comment:

Danika said...

I had to teach this parable to my primary class (8-9 yr olds) a few weeks ago. I studied a lot about it and it got me thinking. What you wrote is correct (at least according to the information I read in church literature). I tried to emphasize these points when I taught my class, because they automatically thought of "talents" as just playing the piano and other outwardly visible skills, as most people do.