Thursday, July 23, 2009

Morning Chore chart

Trying to get ready for these babies, and trying not to neglect my responsibilities as a mother to my other kids, I came up with an idea of making a "Morning Chore Chart". These include the basics like - get up, get dressed, eat breakfast, etc. Then I added the "good habits" like make your bed, read your scriptures, say prayers, etc. Well I thought to add a few more, specialized to each child (each of my children I made the list on the back of a 3x5 card written in ink with a box next to it, glued it onto some card stock of their favorite color, and gave them a pencil). They get to check off what they are done with and when they complete their chart they simply erase and it is ready for tomorrow. I decided to give the older two some "extra" chores such as paino practice, empty the dishwasher and a "chore". I realized that with as early as my kids get up, they will have more available time before school than after. They are also in a better, more obedient mood in mornings. Andrew struggles with it a lot, so he got assigned to empty the dishwasher in the morning.

I was not sure how this was going to go, but gave it a whirl. AnnaLisa practiced piano with her old piano books without any other prompting. She started at the front and worked her way to the through the songs she knew. Andrew has complained very little about the dishes (Andrew should have been a princess with the way he feels about "manual labor").

JJ has actually gotten into it as well. It is making morning routine so much easier. I think it is also making the kids more independent as well. Who knew?

We have also switched around seating at the table. We put MaggieMae in the middle of the two oldest (AnnaLisa and Andrew) because they are always fighting about who got to sit next to her. I thought, they can help her with whatever she needs, I don't have to do it. And now I sit between the boys.

3 comments:

Danika said...

Brandon makes his own chore charts (his idea, not mine)....they go something like this:

Wake up
Eat breakfast
Put on clothes
Make bed
Play legos

At least he has the basics covered and knows that playing legos comes last, right?

You are such a good example of teaching your kids to work and be independent. It's something I struggle with and need to be better at.

Kristina said...

For me, it is a matter of survival, not a choice about organization.

Jake and Jen said...

I still have to get this set up in our lives. Maybe when school starts and we have three in school it will be much easier!